Saturday, March 01, 2008

Humbling

The reason I've been MIA recently is, in part, due to the fact that Geana had surgery on 2/14 and I've been... kinda busy. She's been in bed since her surgery and her mother has been spending the days at our house, watching the kids and nursing Geana back to health. Geana is slowly but surely coming back to her old self - and today she even ventured out to Sammy's soccer game with the family.

These past few weeks have been pretty humbling to say the least. I used to think that I did a lot around the house, only to realize I don't do nearly as much as I thought I did.

Before the surgery I would come home and give baths, get the kids ready for bed, and clean up after dinner. I would help out with the laundry and help get the kids out the door for school in the morning. I'm not "Super Dad" - just the father of high order multiples and when you are the Dad of quads - you have to do some of this stuff. After the surgery I'm still giving baths, getting the kids ready for bed and cleaning up the kitchen - but I'm also doing ALL of the laundry (including folding and putting it away) getting the kids out to school by myself, doing the grocery shopping, cleaning (really cleaning) the house, and coordinating the kids schedules (albeit with Geana's help from bed). Coordinating the schedules is something that I had ZERO involvement in before this surgery and is an incredibly consuming task.

Geana's mother has been a huge help, as has my mother and various friends from school and the neighborhood. BUT the jury is in - and having Geana laid up really sucks.

What I probably miss the most is sharing moments with her like last week's goal that Sammy scored. Or the kids laughing and screaming in the playroom while we have a tickle fight.

I'd write more - but I'm off to bath time followed by some sleep...

0 comments: