Monday, May 19, 2008

Lesson Learned

Sammy was rooting for the Flyers during this year's Eastern Conference Finals. THE FLYERS!!

I know.

I'm ashamed.

I'm not quite sure how this happened. Perhaps it is karma for the several years that I claimed to be a Brown's fan in my rebellious preteen years, maybe it is because Sammy was actually born and raised in Philadelphia and not in Pittsburgh, I just don't know...

What I do know is that an important lesson was learned by Sammy yesterday. Don't EVER - and I mean EVER - root for a Philadelphia sports team and expect to win it all.

Say what you will about the ineptness of the current Pirates, or that Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team - but the success of the city's sports teams is really unbelievable. 5 Superbowls, 2 Stanley Cups, 5 World Series Championships. By contrast Philadelphia CAN NOT WIN WHEN IT COUNTS. I've seen it in the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, and now the Flyers in my 10 years in the city. It's uncanny - really.

Sammy: When you are reading these words years from now, please know that I encouraged you to root for teams from 'da 'burgh. It was your own choice to explore the path of being a "Philadelphia Sports Fan." We all make decisions in our lives that we must be held accountable for (and we may later regret). Today, little man, you know how it feels to root for a Philadelphia sports franchise. I'm sorry for you. I didn't wish this on you. It was a choice that you made on your own. If you ever wish to rejoin the legions of Pittsburgh fans, you'll always have a home here.

GO PENS!!!

0 comments: