Monday, February 06, 2012

A New Hobby




We started biking.

Ok... I started biking and have encouraged (forced) the kids to follow suit. We started in the summer and all but "the skinch" has taken to riding so far. (At autumn's end she was so close to coming off of the training wheels but stubbornly refused. It's a confidence thing - not an inability to do it.) I'm hoping that she makes it off the training wheels by May so that we have the whole summer to ride together. We shall see...

In October, the boys and I went on a 10 mile organized ride called the Camphill Challenge. It was on some quiet roads out in Chester county. I'd be lying if I told you that there were no complaints from them. At about mile 6 we had a HUGE hill to climb and, as we walked our bikes to the top of the hill, I was sure that I was going to get lynched by the crew. To their credit - they plowed ahead after some water and snacks and finished the ride. They were also the youngest participants in attendance, by far. When we finally finished the ride - you could see the sense of accomplishment on the boys' faces. That was the moment that I knew that this was just the first of many future biking adventures for us. I can't wait for spring!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments: