Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Too Soon


One passing, that happened yesterday morning just outside of Pittsburgh, PA, has definitely hit me the hardest this month.

Kathy Cecotti, my high school theatre teacher, succumbed to a five-year battle with cancer yesterday. Almost immediately there was a facebook group created called, "Remembering Mrs. Cecotti." Literally hundreds of people, whose lives she has touched through her teaching, caring, and creating, have come together to pay their respects and to celebrate her tragically shortened life. She was a remarkable person who lit up a room and was forever laughing and smiling.

I look back on this month, with the makeshift memorials throughout the world to Michael Jackson and the thousands of tears flowing as we lost a beautiful artist and woman in Farrah Fawcet, and I can't help to pause on the hundreds of other deaths... those you don't read about... those of teachers, of caretakers, of parents and children. People who have touched the lives of many and just quietly pass away - unbeknownst to me. Unbeknownst to anyone really... other than those with whom they graciously shared a piece of their lives. I truly admire and respect people who give selflessly to others, particularly to children, and who sacrifice their own time to benefit the lives of the kids around them. It makes me strive, to this day, to be a better person. Mrs. Cecotti did that for me... and for thousands of kids.

I was a senior at Thomas Jefferson High School when she came there in 1994. She must have been about 27 or 28 years old. Younger than I am today. It makes me want to go home and squeeze my kids even more and thank God for the blessings I have been given. My thoughts and prayers are with the Cecotti family today.

Instead of saying Rest in Peace or You are Missed or any of that stuff - I'd rather just say, "Thank You!"

In the picture above, Mrs. Cecotti is the one on the left.

Back to fun topics later this week...

0 comments: